Temple of Guan Yu in Haizhou Town
Temple of Guan Yu in Haizhou TownTemple of Haizhou Town is located in Xiguan, Haizhou Town, Yuncheng City, Shanxi Province. It borders on lofty and beautiful Zhongtiao Mountain to the south, Salt Pond with vast expanse of water to the north. Temples, pavilions, lakes and mountains enhance each other’s beauty. It’s known as “the Greatest Temple of Guan Yu in China”. Built in 589 (the ninth year of the First Emperor of Sui Dynasty), it was repaired and extended in Song and Ming Dynasties. However, it was burned in 1702 (the 41st year of Emperor Qianlong of Qing Dynasty) and after more than ten years, it was rebuilt. The layout of the existing temple has two parts: Sworn Brothers Park to the south and Principal Temple to the north. It’s more than 700 meters from north to the south and more than 200 meters from east to the west. It covers an area of 140,000 square meters. More than 200 halls and pavilions show its immensity and and magnificence. As an integral part of Chinese ancient culture, it’s not only a great historical museum but also a glorious art palace. The layout of the Temple of Guan Yu is Chinese traditional palace style: “imperial court in front and resting place at back” and is axisymmetric. It’s an famous tourist attraction since ancient times and also the largest place to sacrifice to Guan Yu so the tourists and believers are in an endless stream and incense is very vigorous. After several repairs and color decoration, it’s more grand and magnificent.
No. 145, Wuyi Road, Haizhou county
Best time to travel
Ancient religious building, hometown of the noble, famous town and village
- With City attractions