Gu Pass Great Wall
Gu Pass Great WallGu Pass, one of the four famous passes (the other three are Juyong Pass, Zijing Pass, Daoma Pass) in Jingxi in the Ming Dynasty, is the "Guard of the Capital City and Its Environs". Guan City, initially built in the second year of Zhengtong of Ming Dynasty (1437), was then called "Gu Pass", lied in the present Jiuguan Village, Niangziguan Town, Pingding County. In the twenty-two year of Jiajing (1543), "Taiyuan captive invaders close to Gu Pass, old city barriers are insufficient although the Gu Pass is the local strategically important place", so it was moved to the west ten miles away for building a new city, took the meaning of "impregnable", "Gu (故)" was changed to "Gu (固)", followed by repair of the Great Wall on both sides of the city. The Gu Pass Great Wall, running from Jiayu Gutter, Niangzi Pass in the north to the entrance of Baihui Village in the south with an overall length of 20 km, is the best preserved stone masonry internal Great Wall in China, and was called to "have the charm of Small Badaling" by the famous Great Wall expert Luo Zhewen. According to Mr Luo research, the Gu Pass Great Wall was dated back to 369 BC, 155 years earlier than the Great Wall built after the First Qin Emperor unified the other six states. It has a history of 2374 years from the year it was built although most of the existing historical remains are of Ming Dynasty, which is rare in China.
Jiuguan Village, Niangzi Pass Town, Pingding County, Yangquan City
Best time to travel
Spring and autumn
Visitors can stand in the high places of the Gu Pass Great Wall to enjoy the landscape under mountain, modern highways are so different from the old Gu Pass, and histories collide at this moment, which makes one's heart soared. The Taijiu highway passes through Gu Pass, but it is not recommended to get off the bus on the highway since no exit is available here.
- With City attractions